The District of Columbia Public Library has invited DCLA members and friends to a special preview tour of the newest public library branch to be renovated.
The Mount Pleasant Branch Library opened in 1925 and was designed originally by Edward Tilton (who designed the main building on Ellis Island). The Branch Library has been extensively renovated and a new addition on the rear of the building adds a new meeting room and a glass atrium to link all the spaces in the building together.
The tour will begin promptly at 6:00 pm and will be conducted by the Project Manager for the renovation. The tour will highlight both the historic nauture of the building and the new additions of space, light and new functionalities for the public. Refreshments and a time for questions are planned after the tour.
Parking: There is no parking on site and neighborhood parking is difficult to find.
Metro: The branch is a 3 block walk from the Columbia Heights Metro Station (Green and Yellow lines). When leaving the station, walk West on Irving Street to 16th Street, walk North on 16th Street to Lamont and corss 16th street. The branch is at the corner of 16th and Lamont Streets, NW. The entrance to the building is through the elliptical garden on the West side of the branch.