2014 Joint Spring Workshop (JSW)
For over 30 years, the Washington, DC area librarians from local affiliates of national associations such as the Special Libraries Association and the American Library Association have sponsored a workshop for the purpose of providing professional development for Washington DC area librarians. This year the JSW would like to present…
Leveraging Your Data
Thursday, April 24 2014
8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Library of Congress
In the library and information profession we are immersed in data. How can we step back and make use of new and existing technologies to take advantage of the tremendous amount of data to move our libraries forward in the digital age?
This year’s Joint Spring Workshop will feature:
Keynote: Ms. June L. Power, Mary Livermore Library, the University of North Carolina at Pembroke; author of “Mobile Apps for Librarians”, Journal of Access Services, 2013
· Mobile applications for accessing library information , storing data, and improving library access for users
Dr. Fatima Barnes, Library Director and Associate V-P, Instructional Technologies, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN
· Converting data into reliable information and ultimately into knowledge with cultural projects, archives displays, student records database; leveraging innovation in information access
Panel Discussion: Ms. Lynda Rudd, Alexandria Public Library; Ms. Gail Herrera, University of Mississippi University Libraries; Mr. Richard Reyes-Gavilan, DC Public Library; and Ms. Regina Avila, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
· Technology tools and ways to mine, use, and re-purpose data from integrated library systems; integrating GIS with library catalog data to inform programs, policies, and understand users; leveraging data resulting in modifications to collections and services; facilitating scientific research data management, providing data services for researchers and customers, and curating data sets
- Ms. Kris Vajs, Library Director, and Staff, Federal Reserve Board; Winner of the 2012 Federal Library/Information Center of the Year
- Data discovery tools and data-reference assistance, including locating specific data points in datasets to match customer research needs
Join us April 24, 2014 at the Library of Congress to learn ways you can work effectively with technology to leverage your data to enhance decision making, support your budget, develop new products and services for customers, and show value to leadership.
Continental Breakfast and Lunch are included.
Library of Congress
Madison Building – Mumford Room, 6th Floor
101 Independence Ave, SE
Cost: $60 for DCLA, LLSDC, DC/SLA, FEDLINK, ALA affiliated, Virginia, D.C. and Maryland Library Association members
Make checks payable to SLA and mail check with registration to:
SLA JSW, Ms. Ramona Howerton, 3719 12th St. NE, Apt. 104, Washington, DC 20017
To pay through your FEDLINK Training (FT) account, contact Elinda Deans at 202-707-4848 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For Pay Pal, please use http://www.eventbee.com/v/dcsla/event?eid=167016502
Registration Form: Joint Spring Workshop Registration - 2014.pdf