Chief of Public Services-DC Public Library
The Chief of Public Services serves as the administrator of 26 neighborhood libraries and the Martin Luther King Jr., Memorial Library (Central Library). The Chief is responsible for ensuring that excellent library services are available to residents in all areas of the District. The Chief’s immediate subordinates include senior managers who oversee the day-to-day operations of the neighborhood libraries, the central library, Service Design, Youth and Family Services, Collection Development, and Public Safety. As a member of DCPL’s Executive Management Team, the Chief works closely and collaboratively with the Executive Director, Chief of Staff, and Chief Business Officer to address immediate and long-range challenges and opportunities impacting the library system.
As a senior executive and advisor to the Executive Director on all matters related to library programs, operations and services, the Chief of Public Services will play a crucial role in ensuring that current and future DCPL goals, objectives, and priorities are accomplished.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• In concert with staff, the Board of Library Trustees, senior staff and other stakeholders, develops and implements the Library’s strategic vision for public services. Helps develop and lead the implementation of new strategies to expand the Library’s user base and improve access to the Library’s collections and services, especially among target populations.
• Develops and strengthens partnerships with other city agencies and like-missioned partners that can assist in excellent public service delivery and advance library goals. Strives to find the most efficient ways in which to deliver services.
• Creates and manages the Public Services budgets for the libraries including the preparation of estimates of projected needs for services and programs. Develops and updates library staffing models based on projected budgets and resident needs.
• Supervises and mentors all Public Services staff and support staff in programming and collections. Motivates staff and inspires a strong customer service ethic.
• Develops performance plans for and appraises performance of subordinate supervisors and program staff. Provides training and development opportunities for library staff. Makes hiring decisions for Public Services and recommendations as appropriate on employee grievances and complaints.
• Maintains current knowledge with respect to library service provision best practices, both from academic sources and from peer organizations. Develops, interprets, and communicates library policies.
• Oversees DCPL’s role as the State Library Administrative Authority for the District of Columbia. Represents the Library at government, industry and public forums. Communicates library initiatives to elected officials, the media, and other stakeholders. Maintains a productive relationship with union leadership.
• Identify ways in which DCPL can more fully contribute to eliminating the persistent barriers to success experienced by too many Washington D.C. residents and ensure equitable access to the Library’s services for all.
• Work collaboratively with the Chief of Business Services to coordinate the work of the offices of Information Technology and Capital Projects & Facilities insofar as the work of those units impacts public service delivery.
A Master’s degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university plus a minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in urban public library system, including at least three (3) years providing direct public service and three (3) years serving in managerial roles. In addition, the following is required:
• Expert knowledge of the principles and practices of urban public library work in order to solve highly complex problems, develop new and innovative public services, and serve as an authority on library operations and services.
• Knowledge of management theory and practice in order to direct a program that provides services to the public. Experience developing library staffing models; is a leader who inspires staff at all levels to perform to their best ability.
• Ability to work effectively with staff members at all levels, with Library officials, union leaders, community groups, professional organizations, the media, government officials, the philanthropic community, and the general public.
• Superior presentation and communications skills and abilities.
• Ability to plan and direct the work of multidisciplinary professional and administrative staff.
• Ability to provide leadership, motivation, and inspire innovation
• Comfortable managing multiple projects and budgets and discerning in regard to alignment and prioritization.
• Demonstrated commitment to addressing social and racial equity issues; has participated in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts to address systemic barriers to library participation.
• Is a compassionate and empathetic listener who strives to address staff and public needs. Embraces ambiguity and maintains a positive and good-natured attitude at all times.
To be considered, applicants must submit an application on careers.dc.gov. Please use the following instructions:
-Go to careers.dc.gov
-In the search bar “type in Chief Public Services”
-Click on Apply
Job closes at 12AM on 7/24/2021