Librarian (Community Learning)-Suffolk Public Library in Suffolk, VA
We are looking for someone to join our Community Learning department in developing, leading, and implementing programming for a variety of demographics, identifying library and technology trends, and assisting library patrons and other members throughout the community.
Under general supervision, the Community Learning Librarian performs professional library work researching and implementing programs, events and other learning opportunities tin the library and other offsite locations. Work involves developing, leading and implementing programming for a variety of demographics, identifying library and technology trends, providing technology assistance and training for patrons and staff, providing library services throughout the community, and providing assistance in the daily operation of the library; including assisting patrons regarding reference demands, assisting with questions and/or problems regarding resources and reference materials, and selecting and recommending materials for acquisition. Employee must exercise independent judgment in developing programs conducting research, leading teams and completing assigned tasks. Employee must also exercise considerable tact and courtesy in frequent contact with patrons and the general public. Reports to the Library Manager overseeing Community Learning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Essential Functions may vary based on area of assignment:
• Gathers community knowledge that informs services developed by the Community Learning Department.
• Develops programs for customers of all ages and abilities both onsite and via outreach based on community needs.
• Plans, develops and leads to implement programming and other learning opportunities to address community needs in accordance with the library's strategic plan.
• Identifies opportunities for learning in the community and develops appropriate response
• Provides ongoing leadership and support for existing library programs by keeping abreast of professional trends and incorporating knowledge in departmental training and development.
• Works alongside the Community Engagement Department to determine community learning needs, opportunities and to help identify community experts to assist in the development in programming.
• Provides one-on-one technology assistance for patrons to improve library and technology skills based on community needs.
• Assists patrons regarding reference demands and performs readers' advisory services; responds to citizen requests for assistance in using the department's computer system.
• Maintains knowledge of the reference and circulating collections, electronic resources; maintains reference and circulating collections.
• Interpret and apply library policies and procedures for customers and staff; Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
• Maintains an awareness of new literature, technologies, trends, and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; maintains professional affiliations; attends workshops and training sessions as appropriate and incorporates knowledge into daily work.
• Performs work at the Public Services desk which includes checking materials in and out, placing reserves, and responding to the informational needs of the library patrons.
• Performs reference tasks such as instructing readers in the use of reference tools including computer, copier and microfilm machine; and answering reference questions and requests by phone or in person.
• Conducts introductory tours of the library.
• Provide training for employees to improve library and technology skills based on community and professional trends.
• Collects fines for overdue and lost materials and fees for the use of the copier.
• Performs other related work as required.
Master's Degree in an ALA accredited program in Library Science or possession of Librarian's Professional Certificate from the Commonwealth of Virginia State Library Board and experience in a library setting or closely related field; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Requires a valid driver's license.