Associate Fellow-The National Library of Medicine
The National Library of Medicine seeks recent graduates, including early and second career librarians, interested in advancing equitable and innovative futures for biomedical libraries to participate in a one-year fellowship that fosters the development of aspiring library leaders.
National Library of Medicine Associate Fellows You will:
• Select and participate on projects ranging from operations to research and development; project opportunities are in data science, data management, open science, public access, vocabularies and ontologies, common data elements
• Grow professionally and learn in a cohort, participating in an established set of workshops
• Develop skills in data science, foundations for leadership
• Receive support from experienced mentors
• Attend professional conferences The NLM Associate Fellowship Program offers a series of workshops in library operations, research and development, intramural and extramural research, development, and lifecycle of the NLM web-based products and services, and the extensive engagement and education program. In the second half of the year, Associate Fellows choose projects based on real-world problems proposed by library divisions and work with NLM staff over a six-month period. Successful projects have led to peer-review publications and to services that have become a regular part of the services and product of the National Library of Medicine.
How many: between 3 and 6 Associate Fellows selected each year
Fellowship: one-year to learn about the National Library of Medicine, its products and services
Where: National Library of Medicine, campus of the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland. The fellowship may be virtual in 2022-2023.
When: July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023 Stipend: $60,129; additional financial support for the purchase of health insurance; up to $1,500 in relocation funding
Eligibility: recent graduate (within the past five years) with a master’s in information science/library science
Deadline for applications: Friday, January 28, 2022 Apply online here: https://www.zintellect.com/Opportunity/Details/NIH-NLM-AFP-2022
Applications and additional information are available on the Web at Associate Fellowship Program: How to Apply .
Contact information: Kathel Dunn, Associate Fellowship Program Coordinator at 301.827.4284 or email@example.com
Who is eligible? All U.S. citizens who will have earned an MLS or equivalent degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited school by June 2022.
Both recent graduates and librarians early in their career are welcome to apply.
The National Library of Medicine is located on the campus of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, just outside of Washington, DC. NLM is committed to recruiting and developing a workforce that is inclusive of a broad range of underrepresented people, including racial and ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds. NLM’s commitment to workforce diversity extends to advocating for diversity of thought and plurality of methods.
A commitment to diversity is grounded in the belief that full participation of a diverse workforce improves team performance, engendering robust array of knowledge representations as well as culturally appropriate means of supporting discovery and delivering health information.