Archives and Special Collections Paid Intern-Loyola Notre Dame Library
Working in the Archives and Special Collections department of Loyola Notre Dame Library (LNDL) under the mentorship and supervision of LNDL archivists, the Archives and Special Collections Intern will participate in accessioning, arranging, describing, and managing archival collections. The Intern will also have the opportunity to participate in other activities of the department, including public services, environmental monitoring, management of the rare book collection, and outreach initiatives.
- Assess collections, create processing plans, and process collections in consultation with LNDL archivists
- Create finding aids with ArchivesSpace, utilizing best practices established by the department
- Participate in public services duties, such as monitoring the reading room or responding to reference inquiries
- Participate in outreach activities, such as promotion of the Archives via social media and the library website
- Assist in gathering, reporting, and analyzing data from environmental monitoring systems
- Assist in the management of the rare book collection
- Graduate student or recent graduate of a master’s program in library and information sciences or public history with coursework in archives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to delivering high quality customer service
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to achieve objectives
- Proficiency in use of the Microsoft Windows operating system, especially Word and Excel
- Knowledge of archival standards and practices through education and/or work experience
Schedule and Compensation:
This internship is for 10-19.5 hours per week. Work may begin in the summer, and no later than the start of the fall semester. Compensation is $16-$20/hour, depending on experience. Extension into the spring semester is possible depending on the number of hours worked in the fall.
About the Library:
The Loyola Notre Dame Library, located in northern Baltimore City serves Loyola University Maryland and Notre Dame of Maryland University. It is a member of the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI). The library serves as an integral part of the campuses by providing information services and resources to support the academic programs and educational concerns of the two institutions. Loyola University Maryland, a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, is recognized for excellence in teaching and learning. Notre Dame of Maryland University is a leader in the education of women and non-traditional students. The Library serves a student population of approximately 6,100 FTE.
The Loyola Notre Dame Library is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Applicants should provide examples in their resume and cover letter that demonstrate they meet the position requirements. Please submit electronically a resume, a cover letter, and a list of three (3) references with “Archives and Special Collections Intern” in the subject line to Jenny Kinniff, Head of Archives and Special Collections, at firstname.lastname@example.org.