Librarian- DC Public Library
This position is within the Public Services Division of the District of Columbia Public Library system and serves as a Librarian. The position is responsible for professional functions that support the efficient operation and best use of the libraries by customers of all ages. This posting is seeking candidates that have a strong interest and experience working with children.
The position may also serve in an specialized library service areas such as adult education (support for customers with limited literacy), accessibility (support for customers with disabilities), special collections (support for rare and unique collections), public technology (support for customers with digital literacy needs), jail service, outreach to target populations and other specialized departments and functions that may be introduced.
- Provides direct customer service to library customers and assistance in using the library and its resources.
- Assist and instructs library customers with routine technology and monitors status of systems and troubleshoots as needed.
- Serves as service architect for location’s engagement in assigned area by designing, promoting, delivering, and evaluating programs, services, and outreach that align to community needs and library’s strategic goals.
- Manages location’s physical collection in assigned area by using established processes and procedures for weeding materials, requesting materials, and analyzing usage.
- Assists in maintaining a welcoming and comfortable library environment by following DCPL Appearance Guidelines and enforcing DCPL Rules of Behavior, as needed.
- Maintains awareness of community needs, including the needs of schools and other community institutions and organizations. Establishes community partnerships that align to community needs and library’s strategic goals.
This position requires a Master’s Degree/MLIS from an ALA accredited graduate program in Library/Information Science; a minimum of one (1) year of work experience working in directly and in-person with customers/clients in at least one of the following areas: adults, teens, children.
The following experience is needed:
- Experienced working in an urban public library (preferred).
- Experience using standard office productivity software, such as Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite required
- Familiarity with content management software such as SharePoint and Drupal
- Experience designing, promoting, delivering, and evaluating public-facing programs and services for assigned population (Adults, teens or children).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The District of Columbia Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer: all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination, which is also prohibited. In addition, harassment based on any of the above-protected categories is prohibited.
Click here to review additional Employment Disclosure & Information for Applicants.